Thursday, May 7, 2015

Miss Birmingham Small Arms...my 71 BSA B50mx

This bike was given to me by a family friend who had it in his shed for over 35 years.  He used to race it back in the 70's in local scrambles, he knew I was into British bikes, so he let me have it.  I was super stoked, but there were a few downsides.  The motor was locked up form sitting so long.  After letting it sit for months with some Marvel Mystery Oil poured into the spark plug hole, heating it with a propane torch on and off for days, she still wouldn't free up. I finally resorted to pulling the motor out of the bike, taking the cylinder head off, pouring ATF fluid into the bore and setting that on fire until it burned out.  The heat freed up the stuck rings, and after that it was a few taps with a hammer and 2x4 block of wood and she was loose.  After honing the cylinder, new piston rings, and having the valve seats re-ground, I got it back together and running.  It got tons of torque, sounds like pure evil, and is a fucking blast to ride.  It still leaks some oil, and could use a little more cosmetic work, but it's a fun bike to own.  Most people that see it I'm sure think it's just some old ugly piece of shit dirtbike, but to me it's beautiful.


No comments:

Post a Comment