Sunday, June 7, 2015

Shortened Triumph T140 rear fender

Before the whole melted wiring harness debacle, I had ordered a smaller Lucas style tail light and a Biltwell license plate bracket from Lowbrow Customs.  I've been wanting to shorten the rear fender on my bike and get rid of the original tail light assembly and make things a little less obtrusive.  I already had bought a spare stock T140 chrome fender to keep on hand in case I ever wanted to go back to stock.  The spare fender is actually nicer then the one I cut.  I didn't want to change anything without being able to go back to stock if I ever decided to. Finally got the time to do it on Saturday and this is what I came up with. 


The Biltwell bracket I got from Lowbrow
Trimmed it to match the contour of the tail light with a jigsaw and metal blade 

Not bad!

Mocked up with zip ties.  Blue tape so I could cut more cleanly once I got my lines I wanted.

Didn't get any pics of the cut before I put the bracket on but you can see it in the background of this pic.  I welded a bolt and L bracket to the back of the license plate bracket to mount it.  The bolt uses an existing hole in the fender.
Hit it with some primer and rattle canned it semi gloss black and mounted it and wired it up. 
I brought the rear turn signals in closer to narrow things up.  They stuck out to far with the new light.  Some aluminum bushings I drilled out and cut so I didn't have to permanently modify the stock brackets.

done

Before

After   

I'm pretty pleased with it, makes the bike look a little bit more aggressive for lack of a better word.  Now I might find some clubman bars or Norman Hyde "M" bars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment